Start Here

An Introduction to My Family History

This blog traces the Holmes family and the related Zimber, Kirwan, Nagle, O'Flaherty, Ashmore and Quinn families, their connections, and...

Monday, April 04, 2011

Joseph Zimber

For some time now I knew that my great-grandmother Albertina Zimber had two younger brothers. The youngest Fred was killed in the first world war but I was never able to find out what happened to Joseph.
However a few months back a search of the Irish Times archive turned up a death notice telling that he was killed in an accident in Montreal on 1st Feb 1905.
Death Notice from the Irish Times
Then last week I found not only his arrival in Canada from Liverpool on 4th August 1904 but that, 6 days after landing, he married Bridget Coady, who had accompanied him from New Ross, in St Patrick's Catholic church, Montreal. His death in a tannery fire, 6 months later, tragically cut short their married life.
Marriage Register entry (Montreal)
Bridget not surprisingly married again to Frank Moore and moved to Australia where their descendants still live. [I am not sure of the provenance of this fact - KH 2026]